Find details about what’s changing and the benefit options available to you in the 2022 Benefits Decision Guide.
1 Review What’s Changing
The majority of your benefits are staying the same for 2022, but there are a few changes and enhancements to know about.
Cost of Coverage
You can review your costs for each benefit plan at the Hess Benefis Center at Empyrean. Here are two highlights:
- Medical rates are projected to increase 6.4 percent in 2022. For the first time in three years, the monthly cost of medical coverage will increase.
- Dental rates will remain the same for the eighth year running, and we will be adding new features to the plan.
We’re making improvements to the dental plan:
- The cost associated with your preventive dental care will no longer count toward the $2,000 annual maximum plan benefit. This means that only restorative, prosthodontic and orthodontic care are counted toward the annual maximum.
- Additional cleanings and services will be covered at 100 percent if you have a chronic medical condition, like heart disease or diabetes. Learn more.
- You’ll have access to a cost estimator tool to give you an estimate of your dental costs before you receive care. Learn more.
We’re making enhancements to the Optional Life Insurance coverage for you and your family.
- For you: Up to a maximum of $1.5 million with an increased guaranteed issue amount of $1,000,000 with no evidence of insurability required.
- For your spouse: 50 percent of your Optional Life coverage up to an increased maximum of $100,000 (evidence of insurability required for amounts over $50,000). You must elect Optional Life for yourself first.
- For your children: Increased maximums of up to $5,000 of Optional Life Insurance for each child age 14 days to six months old; and up to $20,000 of Optional Life Insurance for each child age six months to the end of the calendar year of their 26th birthday.
We’re adding three new voluntary benefit programs to provide a convenient way for you to expand your insurance coverage at discounted rates:
Hospital Indemnity Insurance
This provides a fixed daily payment to you if you have a covered stay in a hospital, critical care unit or rehabilitation facility. The money is yours to spend however you like. Learn more.
Access to more than 14,000 attorneys nationwide who can help you with common legal matters, certain court appearances and document preparation.
Protect your furry family members with discounts on veterinary care, prescriptions, pet products, telehealth and lost pet recovery service. Learn more.
Health Savings Account (HSA)
You can save more in your HSA. IRS limits for 2022 are increasing:
- $50 for Employee Only coverage — to a total of $3,650
- $100 for Employee + One and Family coverage — to a total of $7,300
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
The limit on what the IRS allows you to contribute for 2022 is decreasing:
- Reverting back to $5,000 (from $10,500 in 2021)
We’re enhancing two of our popular specialized programs to include additional services:
- Hinge Health will provide digital physical therapy programs for those who are at risk for developing musculoskeletal conditions, had a recent injury with acute pain, or will have or have had surgery. Learn more.
- Livongo will expand services to include diabetes prevention and hypertension management programs. Learn more.
2 Decide Who to Cover
You can enroll yourself and your family in Hess benefits. Be sure you know who’s eligible, enter Social Security numbers on the Hess Benefits Center at Empyrean and remove any ineligible dependents promptly.
You are eligible if you are a full-time employee.
Eligible dependents are:
- Your legal spouse or domestic partner
- Your children through the end of the year in which they reach age 26
- Disabled children
3 Consider Your Choices
Think about your benefit needs for next year. Ask yourself questions like:
- Am I contributing the maximum to my HSA?
- Should I change my life insurance coverage?
- Do I want to purchase any voluntary benefit coverage?
- Are my beneficiary designations up to date?
4 Use Your Resources
Make informed decisions with resources on these websites:
Find the information you need right here on this website, when you need it, including:
- The basics about all of your Hess benefits
- Informational videos
- Frequently Asked Questions
My Hess Rewards
This site is updated twice a year. Pay a visit to see the big picture — what you get in terms of compensation and benefits for being part of the Hess team. Are you getting the most from what Hess offers?
The Hess Benefits Center at Empyrean
This is where you go to enroll. It has your personal information, covered dependents, current and available benefit options and costs, and more.
October 25 – November 5, 2021
You can enroll online anywhere, at any time during the Open Enrollment period.
- Go to the Hess Benefits Center at Empyrean and log in.
- Click the Continue button on the Open Enrollment homepage and follow the instructions on each subsequent page.
- On the My Family page, be sure to provide the information required for each dependent you want to cover.
- On the Select Your Benefits Coverage page, make your elections, select who you want to cover and review your per-paycheck cost.
- On the Review Beneficiary Allocation page, you’ll designate a beneficiary for every coverage you elect that requires a beneficiary designation.
- Review your elections (including submitting any evidence of insurability) and then confirm and submit your 2022 elections.
By Phone or Using the EmpyreanGo App
- Call the Hess Benefits Center at Empyrean at 1-877-511-4377, Option 1, Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. CT, and follow the instructions.
- You can also download the EmpyreanGo app on the App Store or Google Play and use it to review your elections and complete your enrollment.