This page contains an overview of the Adoption Assistance Program. Get full details here.
You can receive a non-taxable reimbursement of up to $15,000 for eligible adoption expenses. Watch a video to discover all the benefits and resources Hess provides to help build your family.
How Adoption Assistance Works
Who is eligible?
You, if you are a regular full-time employee working 30 or more hours per week, intend to become the legal parent of the child adopted and use a U.S.-based agency or attorney
Who can I adopt?
- A child under age 18 (who is not your stepchild)
- A person who is physically or mentally unable to care for himself or herself
How much can I receive?
- Up to $15,000 per adoption, tax free
- Up to two adoptions
What expenses are eligible for reimbursement?
- Application fees
- Home suitability studies
- U.S.-based adoption agency and placement fees
- Legal fees and court costs
- Immigration, immunization and translation fees
- Transportation, meals and lodging
- Parent, child and family adoption counseling
- Unreimbursed medical expenses of the birth mother
What expenses are not eligible for reimbursement?
- Any adoption that is not legally valid and recognized in the U.S.
- Any expenses that violate a state or federal law
- Compensation to the birth mother
- Voluntary donations or contributions to the adoption agency
- Costs paid using funds from any federal, state or local program for the adoption
- Guardianship or custody costs that are not associated with the legal adoption of the child
- Costs associated with adopting a stepchild
- Cost of living expenses and/or personal items such as: rent, utilities, food, clothing, over-the-counter supplements, toys, furniture, car seat, etc.
- Loss of income, including but not limited to, loss of income due to complications of pregnancy such as bed rest for the birth mother
- Any childcare expenses
- Expenses reimbursed under another employer program
- Expenses associated with adopting a child over the age of 18 unless physically or mentally unable to care for himself or herself
- Any expenses not expressly stated as included shall be deemed to be excluded
Must I be employed by Hess to be reimbursed?
- Yes. To be eligible for reimbursement, expenses must be incurred and the adoption must be finalized while you are employed by Hess.
- If you leave Hess, any eligible expenses incurred but not reimbursed prior to your last day at work are not eligible for reimbursement. However, any reimbursements made prior to your leaving Hess are yours to keep.